KDE Edu & KDE4

Matthias Welwarsky matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de
Thu Aug 11 12:08:58 BST 2005

On Thursday 11 August 2005 11:37, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 11. August 2005 04:40 schrieb George Wright:
> > Given that discussions are now raging for KDE4 and how KDE should change
> > for it, I would like to propose some changes for the KDE Edu module.
> >
> > In my opinion, the module is far too big and confusing. The compressed
> > tarball for the module weighs in at a hefty 28MB;
>
> Sorry, but 28 MB isn't really perceived much these days. Taking into
> account that KDE 4 will be shipped in a year and that internet connections
> as well as mass storage will have developed even further those "hefty" 28
> MB will rather be experienced as "very small" by the time KDE 4 is
> released. So as long as KDE-EDU doesn't grow rapidly I don't see a problem
> here.

Well, I also don't think that size is a problem here, but I do think that the
EDU project, too, should think about factoring out some of the applications
in separate entities, to allow for an extragear-like packaging.

regards,
	matthias

--
From the 'Handbook of Corporate Slang':

- to protect prior investment (phrase):
    describes the inability to revert a wrong decision made
    in the past, expresses willingness of throwing
    good money after bad. (q.v. Fiorina, C.)