A new KColorCombo fro KDE 4?

Sébastien Laoût slaout at linux62.org
Thu Aug 11 12:19:05 BST 2005

PS(Pre-Scriptum :-) ):
I join only the best mockup. I will try to find another place to host the
others (see below) as my FTP access is down for the moment...

Le Mercredi 10 Août 2005 19:11, Torsten Rahn a écrit :
> Talking about usability experience:

I attached a mockup of what it could become to take count of those
constructive criticims.
I also attached an archive of every possible tests I made to find that new
look. If you find some of them are better...

> Is it really necessary that each palette entry is a rather _small_ rounded
> box?

The height is the same as the text height.
I configured my system to have quite small fonts, so it appears small.
But yes, with default font it is still too small.
In the mockup I sent you the height of the box is now 1.5 times higher.
I have to try with 1.3 or 1.4 with normal fonts...
The width is still 1.4*height.

> Even worse: between the small rounded boxes (which look awkward and make
> the color harder to see) the Hermann-Grid-Illusion looks distracting:

Yes, you're good.
That haven't bugged me.
With the only 1 pixel spacing it's solved, I think.

> - remove the rounded edges

Based on the tests I made, without rounded edges it would look flat and quite
old-school (and without spacing it looks even worst).
Of course, look should be took in account after usability.
In the mockup the optical-illusion is not here anymore, and the border is less
dark than before, so I think it's OK, isn't it?

> - make the color boxes larger at expense of the white spacing and remove
> the white spacing (or make it a white 1 pixel separator line instead).

That one is difficult.
To begin, the spacing was of 2 pixels.
But to highlight the selected color, there was only left a 1 pixel rectangle.
So I raised the space to 4 pixels.
With the 1 pixel spacing the focus of the popup is back to choosing a color,
instead of seeing big white spaces :-D

But how to highlight the selected color.
In the mockup I made it bigger, like a Mac OS X docker Zoom Effect.
That's not the KDE standard way, but I have no other idea!

Regards,
Sébastien Laoût.