KDE4 Patch to allow testing/execution of uninstalled kparts/XMLGUI applications

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Aug 11 02:02:00 BST 2005

Hans Meine wrote:
>On Wednesday 10 August 2005 15:22, Hans Meine wrote:
>> One idea you did not mention is that used by libtool.  It installs a
>> wrapper script that sets up environment variables to find the
>> uninstalled libraries.
>
>Sorry.  *Very* bad wording.  Of course this wrapper script is *not*
> installed, that's the whole point.  It's what you start with e.g.
> "./kmail". (It should be possible to make am_edit have that
> post-processed, no?)

am_edit is run at a completely different opportunity. There's no way it
can interfere at this time.

In theory, it's possible to modify the libtool we ship so that the
generated scripts also turn on the necessary environment vars and pass
the necessary command-lines.

But note I said "in theory". libtool's code is extremely complex and hard
to read. And it's very easy to make mistakes.

So, if anyone proposes such a patch for the KDE 3.5 release -- and we're
past the feature list deadline -- I'd strongly object. This would turn
the point moot until we define what buildsystem we'll use for KDE 4.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

5. Swa he géanhwearf tó timbran, and hwonne he cóm, lá! Unix cwæð "Hello,
World". Ǽfre ǽghwilc wæs glæd and seo woruld wæs fréo.