Replacement for KFax

Wilfried Huss Wilfried.Huss at gmx.at
Wed Aug 10 07:55:43 BST 2005

Am Wednesday, 10. August 2005 02:14 schrieb David Faure:
> On Tuesday 09 August 2005 14:27, Wilfried Huss wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I know this is a little late for KDE 3.5, but would it be ok to remove
> > KFax. KViewShell (also in the kdegraphics module) has now the
> > ability to open FAX-files, and I think it would be a good replacement.
> >
> > KFax is probably unmaintained and it is quite crashprone.
> > It also has a horrible user interface.
> >
> > If kfax is removed, I could create a wrapper executable around kviewshell, so
> > for the users not much would change. KViewShell doesn't support the
> > same command line options as KFax, but I doubt many people use them.
>
> How do I use kviewshell to open a fax file? It wants a "part" as argument,
> which one is that?

Are you still using KDE 3.4? The current version doesn't need any arguments.

But you also have to build the kfaxview directory. The fax plugin is there for
historical reasons. It will be moved to kviewshell/plugins for KDE4 together
with KDVI.

> (This also means: if this works, the wrapper executable is certainly necessary)

There already is a wrapper called kfaxview, but the only difference to kviewshell
is that the fax-plugin is loaded by default and it has a different about-dialog and
icon. The same for KDVI, this has been just a wrapper around KViewShell since
the days of KDE 2.

But these are not necessary anymore, because kviewshell, kfaxview and kdvi
all can open all filetypes that are supported by the installed kviewshell-plugins.
The DjVu-Plugin does not have its own wrapper.

Greetings,
Wilfried.