Replacement for KFax

Wilfried Huss Wilfried.Huss at gmx.at
Tue Aug 9 18:39:48 BST 2005

Am Tuesday, 9. August 2005 18:43 schrieb Torsten Rahn:
> Am Dienstag, 9. August 2005 14:27 schrieb Wilfried Huss:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I know this is a little late for KDE 3.5, but would it be ok to remove
> > KFax. KViewShell (also in the kdegraphics module) has now the
> > ability to open FAX-files, and I think it would be a good replacement.
>
> Does it also open multiple-page LZW-Tiff's already?

As far as I know it should support all files KFax supports. But you have to ask
Helge Deller about this. He has written the fax-library we use.

> That's is where I see a usability problem if this hasn't been implemented
> already:
>
> - The user open's a multipage-(LZW)-Tiff,
> - KViewSheel opens it with its TIFF-component which only shows the very first
> page

It shows all pages. It can even print all pages. KFax normally stops after
a few pages, for some reason.

> - user complains about a bug in the FAX-backend ...

You maybe confuse KViewShell with KView. KViewShell is a document
viewer that currently supports DVI, DjVu and Fax documents. It is not
an image viewer.

> And how does KViewShell distinguish non-g3/g4-Faxes from Images?

If you try to open a tiff image file, you get an error message.

The Fax plugin for KViewShell registers for the mimetypes
"image/fax-g3" and "image/tiff", just like KFax does.

Greetings,
Wilfried.