Office/ and Utilities/ menu reorganization

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at babylon2k.de
Tue Aug 9 18:55:59 BST 2005

On Tuesday 09 August 2005 19:44, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > It won't be more work for i18n and docs, it won't be more work for the app
> > maintainers, it will make life more easy for the packagers like you wanted
> > it, where is the problem with that? Applications which need own release
> > cycles can move over to extragear, if they want, others would stay in this
> > coupled extragear, all fine.
> A coupled extragear... which apps should go there ?
> Unmaintained ones ? Small ones ? "Unimportant" ones ? Which apps would stay in
> the current modules ?
> ...wouldn't this lead to a complete rethinking of the KDE module structure,
> with more stuff belonging to the "core" or platform, but a smaller "official"
> KDE accompanied by more additional applications (maybe kfax, kruler,
> lanbrowsing, kiconedit, krdc, krfb, ktalkd, kpf, kdelirc, kdessh ...) ?
Yes, it would lead to split the stuff in at least 3 parts:
 - the libs, what is now kdelibs
 - the core, the heart of the desktop, the window manager, plasma and other core parts
                    (this needs to be defined, no, stuff like kdcop, kate, .... are no part of the core in my eyes)
 - the apps, which should be moved all to a release coupled extragear, some perhaps even to the normal
    extragear, but only on the wish of the maintainer

This would break away from the current monolithic modules, let the life stay comfortable for most app maintainers
and provide some better seperation between the libraries as our foundation, the desktop itself and the applications on it.

> (I'm too hungry, I'll eat now...)
:) *mampf* me, too

--
Christoph Cullmann
KDE Developer, kde.org Maintainance Team
http://www.babylon2k.de, cullmann at kde.org