Office/ and Utilities/ menu reorganization

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Tue Aug 9 18:27:26 BST 2005

On Tuesday 09 August 2005 02:02, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> > For small apps, that is most stressful, small apps will perhaps only need
> > few lines changes per kdelibs/qt release to keep the user happy (e.g. to
> > fix regressions with the new versions, to adopt to some little new stuff,
> > to fix bugs), than you have to made a tarball, notifiy the translators if
> > a string change was done, ....
>
> I don't buy any of that. Qt and Kdelibs are binary compatible over long
> periods of time, making a tarball is a matter of five minutes maximum and
> as far as string changes go, isn't it a rather good thing that you can work

I have to disagree here.
Making a package is much more work than 5 minutes (... I don't have to tell
you).

I'm building source packages for cutecom (http://cutecom.sf.net), a really
tiny app, no translations.
After writing the code it takes:
-increase the version number in the code and the docs
-update the README/Changelog
-create a clean source tree and build a tar.gz
-unpack the tar.gz and check that it compiles
-upload the file to the homepage
-update the homepage
-announce the app on apps.kde.org and freshmeat
-usually there happens a mistake somewhere in this process, and it has to be
repeated

For me this takes an evening, i.e. 1 to 2 hours of work.

Bye
Alex