Office/ and Utilities/ menu reorganization

Michael Nottebrock lofi at freebsd.org
Tue Aug 9 17:50:27 BST 2005

On Tuesday, 9. August 2005 18:14, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 August 2005 16:47, Matthias Welwarsky wrote:
> > > Actually, they often get fixed by a KDE contributor /exactly/ because
> > > they're an official part of KDE. For example, I've fixed quite some
> > > kiconedit and kbattleship bugs in the past, and I don't have any
> > > relation to the apps. And kdegames in particular often gets quite a bit
> > > of bugfixing by people who are not maintainers.
> >
> > Tell me again, why would this not happen anymore if kbattleship was in
> > extragear instead of a monolithic games module?
>
> Tell me how that should happen?

You file a bugreport. Or someone with a commit bit in the KDE repo fixes the
bug straight away. The next release of the application will contain the fix.
In short, no difference as to what happens with applications in the released
kde modules right now.

As long as the application resides in a module like extragear in the kde repo,
with a common build infrastructure, they are also easily tinderboxable.

> You don't get the point
> that there are many little apps which are useful, but which have no that
> big team like popular apps like k3b or amarok.

And what exactly is the point there?

> Sure, but why force again that whole release managment, why not just say,
> yeah, we create a extragear like apps module which will follow the releases
> and fine, people can stuff in their stuff there, we have best of both
> worlds, the apps there are still released as tarballs with the kde
> releases, they are easy to split, as the extragear apps with the same
> scheme, and all are happy, or do I miss something?

I fail to see the advantage of putting applications onto the same release
schedule as KDE. We've already established that it's apparently not an
advantage for the translators and documentation writers, why would it be for
the developers? On the contrary, most application bugs are utterly unrelated
to anything that's going on in kdelibs or similar - isn't it rather a good
thing that application maintainers can put out bugfix or feature releases
when there's some actual bugfixes or new features in the code instead of just
putting out snapshots (and releasing such a huge collection of software as
KDE is now on one single release schedule *does* have snapshot-like quality
if we're unlucky, as KDE 3.4.2 has nicely demonstrated so far)?

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org