Office/ and Utilities/ menu reorganization

Matthias Welwarsky matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de
Tue Aug 9 11:01:57 BST 2005

On Tuesday 09 August 2005 11:44, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 August 2005 11:37, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> > Personally I vote to remove all of the "More Applications" menus.  Having
> > large menus is better then being confused.
>
> Oh, yes -- those very few times I actually use the application menu I get
> lost, too, because of the more applications sub menu. And it's usually just
> a few apps that are in their compared to the long list in the application
> menu.
>
> On the other hand, why not just get rid of the applications menu? Put the
> applictions:/ ioslave by default on the panel, make it read/write so it can
> be used to organize it and reserve the k-menu for important stuff like
> recent documents, create new documents, login/logout, preferences and
> bookmarks. Maybe add a little triangle or something to the app icons (or
> three dots to the names) that are actually folders. Maybe hide already
> running applications that cannot be started a second time?
>
> Somehow, the applications:/Office/ sheet is a lo less intimidating than the
> menu, perhaps because of the big, friendly icons.

That's not a bad idea alltogether, you know. The whole start menu thing is a
pain in the neck. We keep it just so that windows users don't get confused,
but If you look at what stunts Microsoft has to pull to make it somewhat
manageable, like dynamically hiding entries that have not been touched for
some time, you clearly get the feeling that it's not the best solution for
the problem ...

--
From the 'Handbook of Corporate Slang':

- to protect prior investment (phrase):
    describes the inability to revert a wrong decision made
    in the past, expresses willingness of throwing
    good money after bad. (q.v. Fiorina, C.)