Office/ and Utilities/ menu reorganization

Christoph Cullmann cullmann at babylon2k.de
Tue Aug 9 00:12:29 BST 2005

On Tuesday 09 August 2005 00:52, Stephan Binner wrote:
> On Monday 08 August 2005 23:32, Andras Mantia wrote:
>
> > > KDE Extragear is for applications to take advantage of KDE services (SVN,
> > > translation, homepage,...) without having to be a part of the KDE releases
> > And if the maintainer wants to be part of the releases?
>
> If it doesn't match the criteria for upcoming release or there are objections
> against it, it simply has to stay outside. Also it shouldn't enter unless
> there are voices speaking for it (remembering kpovmodeller with shiver).
True ;)

> > Especially as in this case we are talking about applications that are part
> > of KDE releases right now.
>
> There is no "once in, forever in" right.
True, too :)

Nothing against that the apps which are shipped with any KDE package in the release should
respect some rules, be maintained, don't be duplicated (uh, shouldn't say that I guess) and so on,
very true, and very important.

But I think (beside that the thread you opened for pure menu reorganisation is now taken over for
kde package reorganisation) this doesn't lead to the conclusion that splitting out apps to extragear and
forcing them to release on their own is a good idea, like some people promote here ;)

--
Christoph Cullmann
KDE Developer, kde.org Maintainance Team
http://www.babylon2k.de, cullmann at kde.org