KDE4 Patch to allow testing/execution of uninstalled kparts/XMLGUI applications

Adam Treat treat at kde.org
Mon Aug 8 17:15:54 BST 2005

Hello,

I have a simple patch to KStandardDirs that will allow developers to test and
run KParts/XMLGUI applications without having to install them first.

What I've done is to simply look for a '.krcdirs' file in the same directory
where the application is currently being executed.  This file is a simple INI
file like so:

[KStandardDirs]
module = .libs
data = .

The file is read and each key is added to KStandardDirs by using the
addResourceDir( const char* type, const QString &absDir ) method.  When the
application is loaded the KDE defaults for KStandardDirs are set and this all
takes place before the KParts/XMLGUI machinery jumps in.  It is also done
before the configuration system kicks in, so I had to use QSettings for the
INI file reader.

Advantages include:

1.  It is simple.
2.  It is build system independent.
3.  It can be used to find icons/wallpapers and other resources without them
having to be installed.
4.  KDevelop can automatically create this file and integrate it into the
various application templates without any hassle.

So, whaddya think?  Should I commit?

Adam

--
I'm running a Marathon in December!