wouldn't tarball snapshots be nice to have?

Artemio artemio at kdemail.net
Wed Aug 3 11:52:51 BST 2005

Hello all!

I am sorry if I should have sent this to kde-devel, but I think this
is somewhat more related to this list.

The question I want to ask is simple: wouldn't it be nice if at least
some applications like KPDF and such had latest stable versions for
download at their sites? So far, almost none of the apps that ship
standard with KDE offer this.

However, often a user with limited internet access wants to get the
latest version of some app which fixes some bugs he can't work
around. Like if he has KDE 3.4.1 and then there is KDE 3.4.2 and he
only needs KPDF from it, but downloading the whole KDE is very hard
for him and getting via SVN means that in plain codes you need to
download 10x more than if it was a tarball. I hope you get my point.

For example, K3B guys always have their latest tarballs for download,
no matter if it is in KDE anyway. And this is very useful - I can
always just pick and compile it to get rid of some bugs that didn't
allow me to work normally (this is only hypothetically, K3B works
well ;-))).

Thanks for reading.

Sincerely,
Artemiy.