Graphviz dependency in Umbrello

Josef Weidendorfer Josef.Weidendorfer at gmx.de
Wed Aug 3 15:32:07 BST 2005

On Wednesday 03 August 2005 09:34, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 03 August 2005 01:16 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> > Sorry to be the bad news carrier but graphviz license is incompatible
> > with the GPL.
> >
> > http://www.graphviz.org/License.php - Common Public License Version 1.0
> >
> > http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/ - Common Public License Version
> > 1.0 This is a free software license but it is incompatible with the GPL.
>
> Yeah, I would have said the same: you need to revert that change. Calling
> the tool is fine, but linking to it is definitely not

Hi Jonathan,

exactly for the license question I chose to run dot as command to get graph
layouts in kcachegrind. When I started kcachegrind, they used an even more
limiting AT&T license, with the option for them to withdraw the grant to use
it for open source. E.g. with Suse you had to confirm that you are fine with
the license at graphviz install time. Kind of scary ;-)

It was good to see that they switched to an open source license, which
obviously still is incompatible with the GPL. But I think that graphviz is an
extraordinary piece of software; an alternative perhaps is VCG.

In KCachegrind, a parse an ASCII format generated by dot to get back the
layout. You can have a look into
kdesdk/kcachegrind/kcachegrind/callgraphview.h/cpp

One problem with the used plain text format is that graph cluster are not
printed out. It would be cool to have a general dot-format parser.

Josef