Thoughts on the systray II.

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Apr 26 23:03:49 BST 2005

On Tuesday 26 April 2005 11:26, Fred Schaettgen wrote:
> On Monday, 25. April 2005 23:48, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > > This is not really a problem, as you can simply modify the main
> > > window icon to reflect the state (and so the state is shown even
> > > in the task bar)
> > >
> > > This is quite unusual to to this, but i don't see a reason
> > > against.
> >
> > I wonder how that should work for Kontact where the mail part and
> > the RSS reader part can both show a status icon.
>
> As it's only a single application, it should only have one tray icon
> IMO. Even though there is no technical reason for it, I see each tray
> icon as an application. But when I read articles in akregator and a
> new mail is coming in, I regularly click the kmail tray icon and then
> wonder for a second where akregator has gone when I want to Alt-Tab
> back to it.

Maybe you shouldn't use Kontact if you want to Alt-Tab between the
different applications that are embedded into Kontact. OTOH, it would
IMO be very nice if one could Alt-Tab between the different Kontact
components (and similar for other MDI apps).

FWIW, one annoying problem with Konversation (and probably also with
other apps) is that one can't Alt-Tab to it if it's not listed in the
taskbar but only in the system tray even when the Konversation window
is there.

Regards,
Ingo