Thoughts on the systray II.

Aaron Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Apr 26 19:07:40 BST 2005

On April 26, 2005 3:21, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>  The idea behind the patches is that one window can be turned into one tray
> icon by setting a certain flag on it. A bit like the taskbar.

after sitting on this for a few days to consider it, i think these patches are
the right direction. there is a lot more than can and should be done with it,
but once we have it in CVS it'll be easier to work on it with you =)

> So as long as
> there's one window, there's at most one icon. Standalone KMail's tray icon
> would fall into category 1), i.e. tray icon being a small representation
> for the main window, showing status; the same aKregator. But with the
> rather unusual concept of Kontact swallowing several apps there seems to be
> a problem.

this is one reason (among a few) that i don't want to use WM hints ... i'd
really prefer to use IPC for it. but that will likely ahve to wait for DBUS.

the particular reason here is that there is no one-to-one relationship between
windows and systray icons. nor should there need to be. the app should be
able to create as many or as few as it wants, regardless of how many windows
it's showing.

> - having only one tray icon - That'd mean the KMail and aKregator parts
> would have to share the icon (and merge the tooltip text, etc.). I have no

this is what we're aiming for in KDE4, based on discussions i've had with some
of the KDE PIM people on IRC.

> filtered on the server). Making the tray icon optionally wider would solve
> this, just like it would with media players that want to show more buttons
> (I think I've seen some media player to have several tray icons for several
> buttons), but that'd complicate the layouting for tall Kicker, and I'd
> expect to see Aaron moaning about that.

i already have to deal with this in the systemtray, and i'm actually improving
support for such (ab?)uses of the tray in the applet. so ... no, i don't have
a problem with this =)

> So far I think just having one merged tray icon would be ok. What do you
> think?

yes. this is the "Right" solution for kontact, though i'm not sure it's going
to work in every case =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Society is Geometric