Thoughts on the systray II.

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Mon Apr 25 23:05:54 BST 2005

On Monday 25 April 2005 16:45, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>  These issues are all rather non-technical, and so I'm rather bad at
> deciding them :-/ . The remaining problem as, in no particular order:
>
> - Since the icon is not handled by the application but by the applet,
> the application doesn't have any direct control over it. Which means
> it doesn't get any events from it, so things like DND or
> scrollwheeling don't work. Also some systray apps have special
> actions on e.g. MMB. There shouldn't be a big problem with forwarding
> the events, even with DND it should work, but the questions are a)
> does anybody consider this reduced control a problem, and b) how much
> should be forwarded?

FWIW, all taskbar items should accept exactly the same drags as the
corresponding window. So DND isn't really an applet-specific thing. Wrt
scrollwheeling see below.

> - I tried to check all systray apps in CVS that are of this type 1)
> (i.e. not applet-like systray apps) and it seems that they all should
> work fine with this new system (AFAICS), with the exception of KMix,
> which has a rather non-standard behaviour when it comes to clicking
> on the icon and window showing/hiding (I think there even were
> bugreports about this and problems about how this should exactly
> work). I think KMix should work just like the gnome mixer icon, which
> is an applet showing the slider, and launches the fullblown mixer
> application.

Just make sure that I can still change the volume with the mouse wheel
which is IMO by far the most convenient way to change the volume with
kmix.

I wonder in which category the KMail tray icon falls and how it should
work in the future.

Regards,
Ingo