how do libtool convinience libraries work ?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Apr 24 18:42:23 BST 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to build the kdevelop module with cmake (i.e. without autotools and
without libtool).
Now I'm at the point to do something with the libtool convinience libraries.
If I simply create static libs (instead of the libtool conv. libs) and link
them to the shared libs nothing from the static libs is inserted into the
shared lib (since this one doesn't reference anything from the static lib).

If it is linked using libtool, the contents of the static lib are inserted
into the shared lib.
What does libtool magically do ?
I mean, in the end it must come down to some gcc/ld/ar/ranlib options I think.

So, can anybody shed some light on me, how can I have the same effect
manually ?

Bye
Alex