KDE4/Qt4 minimum gcc version 3.2

Gary L. Greene Jr. greeneg at arklinux.org
Mon Apr 18 20:06:54 BST 2005

On Monday 18 April 2005 03:32 pm, Michael Buesch wrote:
> Quoting Leo Savernik <l.savernik at aon.at>:

> > > That's not guaranteed. MSVC++ 6.0 and gcc 2.95 are two different beasts
> > > and since _most_ ISVs are now on gcc 3.x, I can see why they feel that
> > > maintaining support for an obsolete compiler is not needed. Whereas
> > > with Windows, MSVC++ 6 is still in use by a large number of ISVs.
> >
> > It's true that MSVC++ 6 features a greater count of deployment. However,
> > given that MSVC is even older than gcc 2.95, Qt can't make use of any C++
> > features that choke MSVC. That's why gcc 2.95 compatibility should be
> > easier to ensure than if they only would've used gcc 3.4 and msvc 7.
>
> Sources for the Windows version of QT and Unix X11 version are different.
> So I can't follow your assumption:
> * Trolltech says that qt-win will compile with msvc++6,
>   so we assume that qt-x11 will compile with gcc-2.95.
> You see?

Thanks Michael for pointing out the fallacy in his arguements. See the problem
is, gcc 2.95 isn't even standards correct for its time, which means that TT
has to work around things that only appear in that version of compiler, case
and point when Thiago had to work around complete brokeness in the 3.4 build
earlier this year. (Agreed that MSVC 6 does have its own issues...) The
corellation, however, that since it's older than 2.95 gcc makes little
difference if the Trolls decide to drop support for it in Qt. As pointed out
in other posts, if an upstream dependancy as important as Qt won't support
it, I don't see the point of supporting it for KDE 4.0 either.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from uriel

Developer for Ark Linux