KDE-Docs.org - knewstuff and beyond

Jakub Stachowski stachowski at hypair.net
Sun Apr 17 21:41:39 BST 2005

Dnia niedziela, 17 kwietnia 2005 18:17, Aaron J. Seigo napisaƂ:

> would it make more sense to have these XML files installed and have a
> generic set of code that reads this in as configuration? the reason for
> this is that it would allow people to easily customize it post-install. in
> fact, depending on what would appear in these files, if it was possible to
> use a
> KConfig-friendly format we could then use Kiosk techniques to manage these
> resources during deployment ...
>
> image if a school or company could deploy KDE and define a local server as
> their "HotNewStuff server" and serve up content specifically taylored to
> their users. this would open yet another world of possibility for KDE =)

It could be also achieved using DNS-SD and dnssd lib from kdelibs. Server
would advertise itself with type (_khotstuff._tcp) and name. Then every
client on network would pick it up automatically. If I knew some way to
publish stuff (for example your collection of wallpapers) then it could be
new subfeature - 'get hot new stuff from your neighbour' :-)