KDE-Docs.org - knewstuff and beyond

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Apr 17 20:48:16 BST 2005

On Sunday 17 April 2005 12:34, Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> On Sunday 17 April 2005 17:20, Enrico Ros wrote:
> > -- limitations: framework-wise --
> > 1) contents are static.  I mean that the user can select the 'most
> > downloaded stuff' or 'highly voted stuff' from the list she/he receives,
> > but he cannot change to the list of the 'highest voted wallpapers on the
> > kde-look' from the list he receives -> The framework should provide
> > dynamic providers.
>
> Yes. I can easily provide different files for newest,most dowloaded and
> highest rated. But KHotNewStuff can't use this information at the moment.

that's fixable.

it would also be nice if KHNS allowed searching/paging through the entire
content database instead of only the most recent N items. yes, this is
extending the scope of KHNS, and no i don't want to see the "last N items"
lists disappear ... just augment them with access to _all_ the available
items.

> I see, but i don't think this is possible. We have a lot of new submissions
> every day. For example more than 10 new wallpapers every day.
> I'm not sure if our translators can handle this amount of work.

it would be nice, at least for kde-docs.org if at least it were possible to
tag which language (if any) the template is in so people can select from
content appropriate to their language.

i don't need German language templates for KWord, but i bet a lot of other
people would want _only_ German language templates. =)

> What do you think about a khtml part integrated into the KHotNewStuff
> Dialog to show the website?

erg. we should keep this dialog _simple_, not turn it into a web browser =)
there's no reason one couldn't launch a web browser if appropriate, however.

--
Aaron J. Seigo