ATT: svn.kde.org has been updated

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sun Apr 10 21:51:05 BST 2005

Adriaan de Groot wrote:
>Perhaps you should end each message about SVN with a link to a previous
>message or webpage or tutorial or primer or whatever to avoid the legion
> of d00fuses that will ask "pardon me, but what was the intended scheme
> again?"

Sorry:

http://developer.kde.org/documentation/tutorials/subversion/

>I see a branches/cvs/lambda_reduce_1 which should be in kdepim/work (or
>work/kdepim? or work/lambda_reduce_1? Referring to your -core-devel
> message from 2005-03-31 15:36, subject "SVN timing", I guess that
> latter). Sorry about not noticing it earlier: I was looking for _other_
> people's branches you'd forgotten last time you asked, not my own.

Branches in /branches/cvs are the work branches that have been imported
from CVS. Someone will have to "retrieve" them and place them in their
appropriate places. We won't do that because:

a) there are branches used in more than one app, but aren't related at all
b) there are old branches
c) it's up to the maintainer to decide where he wants to store branches.

The options are:
/branches/work
/branches/appname
/branches/appname/work

You decide where you prefer.

>So are the contents of /branches/ basically random? I see some release
>branches sorted by app, some old branches sorted by CVS module, and lots
> of "other".

That happened because there are some branches that weren't on the list I
sent coolo. So those ended up in /branches, instead of /branches/cvs.

/branches is supposed to have, as subdirs, only:
a) work/
b) app names

>Similarly, will /tags/ be sorted in the same way as /branches/ ?

I hope so!

>Or is
> some other scheme going to be applied there? Right now there is no
> structure at all, and while I can sort out the ARTS_x_y_RELEASE tags
> easy enough, some weird-ass tag like before_merging_head_to_kpilot
> _probably_ belongs under the kpilot tags (or the PIM tags) ... that is,
> assuming there is to be structure in /tags/.

Right. Release tags will be preserved. Generic tags can be deleted,
perhaps a month after the cvs2svn import.

Right now there are 589 subdirs in /tags.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:

5. Swa he géanhwearf tó timbran, and hwonne he cóm, lá! Unix cwæð "Hello,
World". Ǽfre ǽghwilc wæs glæd and seo woruld wæs fréo.