Should koffice-libs be folded into a kdelibs module?

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Apr 8 17:30:20 BST 2005

On Friday 08 April 2005 17:04, Adam Treat wrote:
> I feel we should seriously consider folding koffice shared libraries (here i'm
> talking about the set of koffice-libs that every koffice app uses) into
> kdelibs for the KDE4 series.  Currently, applications wishing to make use of
> koffice shared libraries are at a disadvantage when not folded into the
> koffice module.

Do you know of any such application?
If yes, why can't it simply have koffice as a (compile-time) dependency?

> koffice-libs are widely used by _several_ KDE applications ( see KWord,
> KPresenter, KSpread, etc, etc ) and as such I see them as good candidates.

Well they are all in koffice :-)

By your logic, all kdepim libs would fit into kdelibs, all kdegame libs too, etc. etc.

Honestly I don't think koffice-libs belongs to kdelibs. Just the development cycle
would be very hard BTW (if koffice wants to keep its "latest stable kdelibs release"
version requirement - it seems we'd lose developers, of which we have very few
already, by requiring CVS HEAD of kdelibs).