[RFC] KUnitTest library

Zack Rusin zrusin at trolltech.com
Thu Apr 7 09:22:32 BST 2005

On Thursday 07 April 2005 03:33, Jeroen Wijnhout wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The last couple of days I've been working on a GUI for the KUnitTest
> framework in kdenonbeta/kunittest. In doing so I modified the
> original framework in such a way that it is even easier to use than
> it was (imho). All of the unittesting facilities are put in a shared
> library you can link to, so that adding new tests is really easy.

heh, everyone seems to be saying that but when I was writing kunittest I
never made a shared lib because I don't like that approach for unit
tests. I don't like it because it increases the setup time. So it's a
choice between code sharing and quick and dirt setup. For a shared lib
you need a whole bunch of configure checks, if you just copy over
whatever version of kunittest you want to be using, you're done. So
that was also the reason for a minimal number of files and lack of a
GUI - it wasn't making sense in such a small setup.

I know that SourceXtreme has a project which was meant to replace
kunittest but Ian would have to fill you in on how far is it.
Personally I have two other versions of kunittest, one in pure c++
which doesn't depend on Qt, and one for Qt4. But I have many doubts as
to whether kunittest is the right approach. It does what it's supposed
to and it does it well, that's for sure, but is it the best possible
tool for the job? Probably not (it's just that all other solutions suck
right now)

Zack

--
A hacker does for love what others would not do for money.