Fonts in a KDE application

Craig Drummond craig at kde.org
Wed Apr 6 21:44:44 BST 2005

> in Konsole fonts Makefile.am there are the following lines (which I did not
> notice before, my bad):
> # This uses -hook instead of -local so that it is run after fonts are
> installed
> install-data-hook:
> 	-mkfontdir $(DESTDIR)$(fontdir)
>
> what does that do exactly?
> Or is James approach better? (KFontIns being updated)?
>
> Anne-Marie

You cold try the following:

    cp <font> <destination>
    kfontinst -xgfa <destination>

The kfontinst command will configure regular X (creating fonts.dir, etc),
create an entry in Fontmap (remove the 'g' if this is not required), add the
folder to fontconfig's config file and to X's config file.

If its a TTF, or Type1, font file then some system's mkfontdir will not handle
it.

Craig.