Fonts in a KDE application

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Apr 6 08:48:40 BST 2005

Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> On April 1, 2005 12:02 pm, Leo Savernik wrote:
>
>>Am Freitag, 1. April 2005 02:47 schrieb Anne-Marie Mahfouf:
>>
>>>install: font_name.ttf
>>>        kfmclient copy font_name.ttf fonts:/
>>
>>Please never ever make any part of the build process depend on a GUI
>>application.
>>
>>mfg
>>	Leo
>
> mfg?
> and what do you suggest then please?

I find that on my system that:

	kfmclient copy <font_name>.ttf fonts:/System/

copys the file to "$KDEDIR/share/fonts" which doesn't seem correct to
me.  And, it didn't update the Fontmap file in the directory.

Are there bugs in KFontInst again??

IAC, if you copy the font file to "$KDEDIR/share/fonts/TTF" then
FontConfig should find it if the system is set up correctly.  But, I
found that on my system I needed to have:

	fc-cache

in my: "rc.local" script for it to find new fonts and that requires a
reboot -- too much like Windows. :-\

I don't know how to make FontConfig do a rescan except to run [as root]:

	fc-cache

So, there are unanswered questions.  But, at least I know what I don't
know about this.

--
JRT