SVN: What happens to homeless modules?

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Fri Apr 1 10:02:33 BST 2005

Am Donnerstag 31 März 2005 23:57 schrieb Thiago Macieira:
> Stephan Kulow wrote:
[moving to kde-core-devel]

> >kde-common is very tricky as you need it everywhere with symlinks. So
> >it better stays in toplevel - even though it needs to be branched too ;(
> >Or we branch kde-common into /branches/KDE/ when releasing KDE and
> >into /branches/k3b when Sebastian releases k3b. Did you think this to
> > the end ;(
>
> Since Sebastian will have to update the symlink in the branch anyway, he
> can just do:
>
> svn cp trunk/extragear/k3b branches/k3b/0.13
> cd branches/k3b/0.13
> rm admin
> ln -sf ../KDE/3.5/kde-common/admin admin
> cd ..
> svn commit
>
> That means: k3b 0.13 depends on KDE 3.5.
Hmm, this means everyone has to check out KDE/3.5 exactly this way, no?
I don't like this at all. I want to have full control where to place my kdelibs,
I don't want to be forced to put it in $mypath/KDE/3.5/kdelibs

And this does not only apply to branches but also in trunk you would need
to have a KDE subdir checked out - if you want or not. The symlinks have
to fit. Call me stubborn, but this is the killing argument against either symlinks
or nested structures. What were the disadvantages of external properties
again? One was that they are absolute so they had to be redone in branches,
but if I look at your example this would also be an argument for KDE/ as
every other app or module would need to redo them anyway.

Greetings, Stephan