RFC: DBUS & KDE 4

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Thu Sep 30 01:09:59 BST 2004

On Wednesday 29 September 2004 23:31, Michael Pyne wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 September 2004 07:23 pm, Maks Orlovich wrote:
> > Anyway, my point was not about quality of wrapping.
>
> Well then I got confused, as I wasn't sure what point you were trying to
> make exactly. ;-)
>
> You are of course absolutely right about the dangers of being dependant on
> unmaintainable code.  I can't comment further about this then since I've
> read neither the DCOP nor the DBUS source.  I would hope that the DBUS code
> is at least written sanely so that it would be possible for others to fix
> it if needed.
>
> Does anyone have a comparison of the bus numbers [1] between DCOP and DBUS?

FWIW, I don't think it have to be that specific to conclude D-BUS will be well
maintained. If we assume the complexity and contribution-threshold of DBUS is
similar to DCOP, it is reasonable to conclude it will be at least as well
maintained as DCOP.

Also, as written before, when also KDE jumps on the DBUS wagon, it will have a
large influence and even faster become a de facto standard in linux/open
source systems. It will be of a large importance to 3rd parties, and hence
distributors. I think big players like SUSE, Redhat, Novell, etc. will make
sure it humms along.

Cheers,

		Frans