RFC: DBUS & KDE 4

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Sep 29 17:21:10 BST 2004

On Wednesday 29 of September 2004 18:08, Harri Porten wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  DBUS seems to have a CUSTOM data type. Wouldn't it be sufficient to dump
> > the QDataStream-created data used by DCOP as one binary object into the
> > custom data type, or read it back using QDataStream? The apps shouldn't
> > see any difference.
>
> Yes. But I think this should only be used for compatibility in a
> transition period. In the long run one should agree on well defined
> complex types with other projects for interoperability (via
> freedesktop.org). Example for this reasoning: a tool from the X camp might
> want to tell kdesktop to have a green background color. Speaking
> proprietary binary protocols doesn't help with integration.

 Of course. I was only talking specifically with regard to Waldo's problem
with our DCOP custom data types.

 BTW, if that's the long run aim, then a short run aim should be changing the
part in DBUS specification which says type is described by a single byte.
http://freedesktop.org/Software/dbus/doc/dbus-specification.html#message-protocol-arguments

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer