RFC: DBUS & KDE 4

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Sep 29 16:43:30 BST 2004

On Wednesday 29 of September 2004 16:51, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> 2) Provide DBUS support, deprecate DCOP, convert at runtime all DCOP IPC to
> DBUS to provide 100% backwards compatibility.
> 2) This sounds like the perfect solution, but is it feasible? It seems to
> me that conversion of the call arguments may be impossible in cases where
> the argument types are application defined. Due to the way DCOP works, it
> is only possible by the receiving and sending applications in such case to
> separate the different arguments. As such, such calls will always look
> different from a native DBUS call with the same arguments. Is that a
> problem? In which situations would that cause compatibility issues? Can
> those be solved in another way?

 DBUS seems to have a CUSTOM data type. Wouldn't it be sufficient to dump the
QDataStream-created data used by DCOP as one binary object into the custom
data type, or read it back using QDataStream? The apps shouldn't see any
difference.

 BTW, I'm not sure from the docs: Does DBUS support method overloading?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org