RFC: DBUS & KDE 4

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Wed Sep 29 15:55:36 BST 2004

On September 29, 2004 11:51 am, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> 4) Replace DCOP with DBUS, adjust dcopidl to generate DBUS code instead of
> DCOP.

I recently read on the dot (http://dot.kde.org/1095964115/) that  Harald
Fernengel wrote QT bindings for DBUS that don't require using any sort of IDL
compiler. Could we leverage this?

Having some experience with it, my one main caveat with DBUS (and it is not a
hold back, since DCOP didn't do this well either), is lack of concentration
on network-wide messaging. DBUS does have a TCP communications mechanism, but
it is kind of "hacked on" and not well supported I find.

If authenticated machines on my network could send messages between
applications *over the lan*, with a minimal amount of configuration on the
system, that would be a killer feature. Even better would be if I could say,
send a message to all X applications running on the network.

The DBUS client/server arch. could make this possible if some thught was given
to how the desktop servers could delegate network-wide messages amongst each
other (either a heirarchical system, or a "swarm" system using broadcast UDP
perhaps?)

--
There are two major products that came out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We do not believe this to be a coincidence.  ~Jeremy S. Anderson