[MAJOR BUG] g++ 2.95.x generates invalid code for KDE 3.3.0

Matthias Welwarsky matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de
Fri Sep 24 09:12:29 BST 2004

On Thursday 23 September 2004 03:22, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> David Johnson wrote:
> >gcc 2.95.x is seven years old? I realize that it's far better to fix
> >this problem on our end, but that's no reason to fudge the date of the
> >compiler. gcc 2.95.3 is only three and a half years old. Even gcc 2.95
> >is less than six years old.
>
> He probably means the general architecture and/or the C++ ABI.

Yes, and if they didn't manage to botch the C++ ABI in every other release, we
would not have this problem in the first place.

Of course other projects have now migrated to a more recent GCC, but I know of
not many C++ projects that have to care about binary compatibility and range
of platforms like KDE.