[MAJOR BUG] g++ 2.95.x generates invalid code for KDE 3.3.0

Gary L. Greene, Jr. greeneg at arklinux.org
Sun Sep 19 17:13:50 BST 2004

On Sunday 19 September 2004 11:51 am, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Guillaume Laurent wrote:
> >On Sunday 19 September 2004 15:24, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Leo Savernik wrote:
> >Why discouraged? This is the very first gross bug that I've ever
> >encountered with 2.95
>
> Exactly. So there's a major bug. Therefore, it's people using it that
> should properly fix their compilers, not us working around the bugs.
>
> g++ 2.95.4 on Linux is known now to produce invalid code. It should no
> longer be used. As a compromise till people upgrade their compilers (to a
> 2.95.5, for instance, if that ever comes along), we should provide code
> that doesn't trigger the bug for a while, but not for long.
>
> As for its use on other platforms, I said "not supported" meaning that the
> user's problem of making it work, not ours.

Agreed, especially since iirc from the info about gcc 4.x (which is still
alpha), we'll be gaining symbol visibility functionality akin to other
commercial compilers. This WILL break things if we don't do TONS of #ifdefs
in the code for the older compilers. Personally I'd like to see 2.9x dropped
as supported platform, since as time goes on, we'll be forced to work around
more and more added features in the new one just to allow it to build on
these older compilers.

Don't get me wrong, I know how much of a pain it is to move to a newer
generation of compiler, but we can't keep support for a nearly five year old
compiler when 90% of the platforms that are running current KDE's are on
newer versions.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
Sent from uriel

Developer for the Ark Linux Project
 check out http://www.arklinux.org/ for more info.
 Also http://www.csis.gvsu.edu/~greeneg/
EMAIL : greeneg at arklinux.com

for more information.
Consider using a free MS-Office replacement for most platforms,
http://www.openoffice.org/