widget style cleanup

Koos Vriezen koos.vriezen at xs4all.nl
Sun Sep 19 13:16:00 BST 2004

Rob Kaper wrote:
> On Thursday 16 September 2004 2:20pm, Piotr Szymanski wrote:
> > Yeah but kmplayer embedds in konqueror hell better than anything else?
>
> Don't rule out Kaffeine. Uses GStreamer which is or should be a top contender
> as backend for the future of KDE multimedia and Kaffeine is really excellent
> when it comes to KDE integration. I wouldn't mind a Hayes-style playlist for
> it, or something akin to Keyz, though.

Obviously I'm biased in this discussion, but what I'm missing here are
also the implementations issues.

I must agree with Charles, that if kmplayer is to replace something in
kdemultimedia, it should be kaboodle. But as I understand Kaffeine has a
kpart too. I see these kmplayer benefits though:
- KMediaPlayer::Player implementation, eg for file preview,
- compliant to many web sites, javascript support, click to play etc.
- external player, both mplayer (obvious) and kxineplayer are
  out-of-process. Until Xine _never_ crashes on any input, this is a
  must IMO,
- extendable, not plugable (yet) though. The xine player is simply a
  NoX-Qt/DCOP app that uses threads to separate the event loops. No KDE
  bindings needed. I'm already playing with gstreamer a bit and it
  should be easy to add it (just a small demo app using 'spider', add
  DCOP and there it is - ok some hacking in kmplayer itself :-).

I think that appreciation of a certain player also has to do with how one
is connected. If one sees the Internet through a dial-up modem, one
probably hardly will use kmplayer. If however one has broadband, at
least for me, one hardly download music anymore but plays direct
from internet stations (like those on shoutcast.com). Same for some
video broadcast, eg I watch the nieuws from uitzendinggemist.nl these
days (also I nice example for support mplayer and Xine as WMP streams
only play with mplayer and the Real only with Xine).

Indeed the GUI needs work though..

Regards,

Koos