DCOP D-BUS HAL and new cd's

Kévin Ottens ervin at ipsquad.net
Sat Sep 18 18:05:14 BST 2004

Le Samedi 18 Septembre 2004 06:22, Michael Pyne a écrit :
> I think that we should keep in mind that we shouldn't necessarily ignore
> technologies like HAL just because they exist only on one system.  Even our
> Qt toolkit has a setWindowOpacity call that doesn't work (yet) on Linux.
> ;-)

Of course! That's why my current work tries to support several "backends", and
why I'm willing to keep in touch with the KVM crew who surely knows HAL
better than me.

> If things like HAL are good enough, then it will either be ported to BSD,
> or BSD will come up with something equivalent which we then then adopt in
> KDE. But we shouldn't hold KDE back because all of our supported platforms
> don't adopt a key library at once.

Hence my bet on supporting several backend for the new kded modules managing
filesystem volumes. I'm skeptical that HAL will be ported to BSD but I don't
want to avoid its support either.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."