DCOP D-BUS HAL and new cd's

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Sat Sep 18 03:23:17 BST 2004

On Friday 17 September 2004 08:28 am, Sashmit Bhaduri wrote:

> HAL looks (
> http://freedesktop.org/pipermail/hal/2004-June/000421.html ) to be
> fairly
> portable. There is a difference between BEING linux-specific and
> HAVING linux-specific
> parts when compiled in Linux. That's like saying that Linux isn't
> portable because it has i386-specific code when run on i386.

The concern is that HAL would be dependent upon Linux. For something
like kfloppy, this is no big deal, just don't use kfloppy. But the
nature of HAL is very different. One could easily lose major swatchs of
functionality on non-Linux systems.

I'm not suggesting that this will be the case with HAL, only pointing
out what the concern is.

--
David Johnson