DCOP D-BUS HAL and new cd's

Kévin Ottens ervin at ipsquad.net
Thu Sep 16 17:05:30 BST 2004

Le Jeudi 16 Septembre 2004 15:45, David Faure a écrit :
> On Thursday 16 September 2004 13:30, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > On Thursday 16 September 2004 08:08, Benjamin Meyer wrote:
> > > As DCOP, D-BUS, and HAL are the current talk of the town I was curious
> > > if it was discoused at akadamy and what the results were.

For CD polling and insertion notification, there's some Linux specific code in
kdenonbeta/kdeautorun too. Moreover HAL is currently really Linux specific...
I don't see it ported to something else soon (I hope to be proved wrong).

Fully relying on something Linux specific is not a good idea, we should not
forget our FreeBSD users for example (and yes I'm a Linux user, but I don't
deny the existence of other OS for KDE users).

> > I am not aware of any discussions or their outcome, but a good start
> > would be to consolidate this kind of functionality in the devices KDED
> > module.

I'm currently working on this, devices:/ needs a big cleanup for KDE 3.4
anyway. I admit I've been slow since the end of aKademy... but I'm starting a
PhD and I have to deal with some nasty and boring paper work to get
everything needed in shape for my university.

> > CC'ing a bunch of people that have expressed an interest in this topic.
> > (Maybe it's time for a mailinglist?)

I agree here, maybe it's time for have a mailing list for this kind of topics.
We have to handle the hardware correctly and some aspects of this work is in
the hands of KDE developers.

I vote for the creation of a "KDE Hardware Task Force" (I've no better name
currently). And in my opinion it would be a big plus to have people using and
working on non-Linux systems to avoid the "not portable trap". Not forgeting
other Unices is very important for the KDE project.

> Kevin is also working on that module AFAIK - adding to CC.

Thank you David! ;-)

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."