widget style cleanup

Sandro Giessl sandro at giessl.com
Mon Sep 13 21:58:12 BST 2004

Am Sunday, 12. September 2004 20:43 schrieb Maksim Orlovich:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I suggest to cleanup the widget styles in KDE.
> >
> > - Move System from kdelibs to kdeblackhole
> > - Move System++ from kdelibs to kdeblackhole
> > - Move Motif Plus from kdelibs to kdeblackhole
>
> It's part of Qt. You can add a .themerc file telling it to be hidden,
> though
>
> > - Move Marble from kdelibs to kdeblackhole
> >
> > - Move Plastik from kdeartwork to kdelibs in preparation for KDE
> > 4.0
>
> You're getting ahead of yourself, but no problem w/the move itself.
> However, plastik needs some performance work.
To be honest, I didn't notice these general performance problems.
So if you could help me identifying them, I would love trying to improve
this situation.

> Alloy: I am not sure the licensing stuff quite works out, since the
> permission for use of 3rd party artwork has restrictions on where it
> can be applied, which may not be compatible with the GPL... On the
> other hand, it's currently maintained by Sandro, who has a great
> record maintaining plastik. Needs busy indicators to be fixed, though
Yes, the licensing scares me too. Apart from that, the widget style part
has several minor problems I'm not willing to fix ATM, so I would
prefer not maintaining it in CVS except if there was an enormous demand
on it.