widget style cleanup

Stephan Binner binner at kde.org
Mon Sep 13 07:46:49 BST 2004

On Sunday 12 September 2004 20:02, Frans Englich wrote:

> We're having yet another widget-style discussion...

Starting with obsoleting the old major objection reason. :-)

> Even if there is no technical problems with this, it's still the usability
> aspect of consistency which applies:

It will be consistent within the release (apps to docs) and for new users. You
can't keep everything consistent for old KDE users over the whole life-time.

> We can't switch styles for each minor release.

KDE 3.3 and KDE 3.2 did not change anything, last change was with 3.1 (this
will be over two years with the same style at date of KDE 3.4 release).

> Chances are big we'll switch in KDE 4 again, anyway

Tell me more. Don't change anything now because we /may/ change it in future?

In my opinion everything in KDE 3.4 should happen what is ready, planned for
KDE 4 and doesn't change binary compatibility. Including application dropping
(one picture viewer, one color editor, kiconedit, several of Utilities/) and
replacements (like KSirc->Konversation, Noatun->amaroK, control center[?]).

"But the user is used to (some default)" compatibility arguments don't count.

Bye,
   Steve