widget style cleanup

Maksim Orlovich mo85 at cornell.edu
Sun Sep 12 19:43:11 BST 2004

> Hi all,
>
> I suggest to cleanup the widget styles in KDE.
>
> - Move System from kdelibs to kdeblackhole
> - Move System++ from kdelibs to kdeblackhole
> - Move Motif Plus from kdelibs to kdeblackhole
It's part of Qt. You can add a .themerc file telling it to be hidden, though

> - Move Marble from kdelibs to kdeblackhole
>
> - Move Plastik from kdeartwork to kdelibs in preparation for KDE 4.0

You're getting ahead of yourself, but no problem w/the move itself.
However, plastik needs some performance work.

> - Add one or two nice new styles to kdeartwork.
>   For example Comix, Active Heart, Alloy or Thin Keramik.

Object in general to any additions not done on maintainer's request. I've
done way too much cleaning up of bugs in things that are supposedly
maintained as is.

Object in specific to Thin Keramik: it has fundamentally broken palette
handling; and as the present maintainer of Keramik I object to it using
the Keramik name.

Active Heart: horrid config dialog (I imagine the usability people will
have something to say about having 6 tabs there!), and some of the color
configurations are fundamentally broken. Some pretty obvious bugs: default
buttons are not marked; when buttons have icons, text is not centered
right

Alloy: I am not sure the licensing stuff quite works out, since the
permission for use of 3rd party artwork has restrictions on where it can
be applied, which may not be compatible with the GPL... On the other hand,
it's currently maintained by Sandro, who has a great record maintaining
plastik. Needs busy indicators to be fixed, though

Comix: it really shouldn't have separate color settings, and also needs a
default indicator for buttons at least, but it's an interesting one.