File drop popup menu removal

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Thu Sep 9 01:15:02 BST 2004

On September 8, 2004 09:23 am, Olaf Jan Schmidt wrote:
> Wrong. Sometimes Windows creates a link rather than moving the file.

Not really. Not if you are dropping a local file on a local folder.

Sure, dropping a file can sometimes create a link, but only in special
situations, and it is normally pretty appropriate. For example, if you drag a
file from C:\ to a folder in your start menu, you likely don' want ot *move*
it there. You want a link. Same goes for the shortcut bar.

Other than those, and some other specal situations, Windows is pretty
consistant on:

Local file dragged to remote folder -> Copy
Remote file dragged to local folder -> Copy
Local file dragged to local folder -> Move

This one I don't know offhand what it does, but I think it is copy

Remote file dragged to remote folder -> ??

--
Jason Keirstead
http://www.keirstead.org