File drop popup menu removal

Clarence Dang dang at kde.org
Wed Sep 8 14:07:37 BST 2004

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 01:41 am, Gary L. Greene, Jr. wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 September 2004 08:00 am, Clarence Dang wrote:

> > > Tried DnD with the RMB on windows?
> >
> > How about an option for the Windows behaviour i.e. LMB guesses what to do
> > (else takes into account keyboard modifiers) and RMB pops up that
> > annoying:) menu?
>
> Please, no. The "do a task different with a different mouse button"
> confuses the hell out of end-users that I've lab assisted for. Having two
> behaviors for essentially the same action is silly, especially since it
> isn't apparent for discoverability. Besides, when most folks DnD a file,
> they are dragging with the left mouse button, not the right. Thus reverting
> the user back to the Windows way of doing it, which IMO is flawed.

But it's already similar to e.g. left clicking on a file in Konqueror opens
it, while right clicking gives additional options.

In Windows, I know left dragging the file on the same filesystem moves;
dragging the file to another filesystem (e.g. floppy) copies.  I don't get a
popup slowing me down.

When I'm not sure (e.g. if it's late and I can't figure out which filesystem
is which :) or to create a shortcut), I right drag to get that popup.

Whether or not this is completely flawed like the QWERTY layout I can't
competently debate but the most important thing is that at least some people
are used to it.