kfinddialog patch

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Mon Sep 6 10:52:11 BST 2004

On Friday 03 September 2004 21:21, Andreas Scherf wrote:
> Am Freitag, 3. September 2004 22:45 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> > These patch adds methods to enable/disable all the checkboxes present in
> > the kfinddialog in case any application wants to use the default kde
> > search dialog but it can not support some kind of "fancy" search.
> >
> > Can you please review it and tellme if i can commit?
> >
> > Albert
>
> Wouldn't it be better to remove the whole "Options" area instead of graying
> it out ??

Building dynamic interfaces should in general be avoided in order to make
interfaces consistent(you learn one interface, and can apply that knowledge
to others).

> But do we need such an "minimalistic" search ? And if yes why ?

See:
http://lists.kde.org/?t=109414342400004&r=1&w=2

> Are there too many options ?

That's another topic, but it could of course be questioned. The regexp
functionality is probably feature bloat(only used by a very small percentage
of the userbase).

It wouldn't surprise me if user testing showed the options were seldom used,
and moving them all to a "Details >>" section would make sense(and remove the
Find groupbox too).

Cheers,

		Frans