Serious problem with kconfig et al.

Knut Johansson knut at johansson.com
Fri Oct 29 02:13:29 BST 2004

Hi all

First of I will start to say that I know the the cause of the problem are not
KDE related, but probably caused by sloppy administration and experimentation
with unstable drivers etc. But what causes it are not important, but the
effect on my KDE desktop are. This is not a new problem, I have experienced
it on different installs since the KDE 2.something days. Since I feel this is
a serious problem with the configuration infrastructure an touches most
applications, I think it's better to have the discussion on the mailinglist
rather than filing it in bugzilla.

With abnormal termination of KDE applications "loose" their configuration and
reverts to the default setting. With abnormal termination I consider
situations like forced reboot on lock ups, powerloss and similar. I have been
using different kinds of journaling FSes, and have never experienced FS
corruption in these cases.

It looks like some settings are more "easy" to lose compared to others, in my
case the settings in LookNFeel->style and Peripherals->mouse are different
than defalt and the most likely to loose their settings. Somewhat less
frequent are the loss of settings from kicker and the running applets.

The loss of some desktop settings are not a big problem, but this missbehavior
affects all running applications. The loss of your nettwork settings in KMail
are more than a little inconvenience, specially when you use several accounts.
And even worse are the effect when this happens to KWallet.

I'm not quite sure whats happening, but looking at some of the damaged rc
files they are mostly filled with random binary garbage or pieces of other rc
files. Actually my kdewallet.kwl file now contains a big part of the
kdeglobals rc file.

It looks like kconfig and friends does something nasty here. In my opinion
crashes should not damage the rc files, at least the files where no changes
has been made.

Regards
Knut

PS, I'm not subscribed to this list, please CC me.