ui-standards.rc tweaks to Settings menu

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Oct 27 16:52:18 BST 2004

On Wednesday 27 October 2004 05:12, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> Hmm, I don't know whether it was already discussed on kde-usability, but
> wouldn't this option make more sense in the 'View' menu?

it might, yes. however, we have apps that use noMerge for the settings menu
that put Fullscreen the settings menu. so, ironically, it's not as simple as
changing it in ui-standards.rc. i'd rather see us be consistently imperfect
that inconsistently perfect ;-)

for KDE4 i hope we can go through the ui-standards.rc thoroughly, including
documenting how it works[1] and finding common cases where noMerge occurs in
applications with the goal of making those noMerges less necessary
(increasing our ability to make policy changes with less effort)

Tobias, David: thanks for reviewing, i'll commit later today when i get into
the office =)

[1] this is off-topic for this thread, but i'm increasingly concerned about
knowledge transfer from the original authors/designers of technology in
kdelibs to our present and future maintainers and application developers.
writing ui.rc files is still something of a grey art and not comprehensively
documented anywhere that i know of.

--
Aaron J. Seigo