dcop/dbus and async communication

Wink Saville wink at saville.com
Wed Oct 27 06:53:21 BST 2004

Hello,

Has using "only" asynchronous communication techniques been considered.
I've been using it for embedded multi-media application and it seems to
work quite well. It certainly isn't as easy to use but it does
eliminate some types of problems. For instance the deadlock problems
mentioned here
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=109826907823205&w=2 and in
this post Waldo mentions using async.

But to be really useful "all" applications would need to implement
async messaging. I would worry that providing, as dbus does, both sync
and async, programmers being the lazy people we tend to be, would
probably use the sync protocol. Well at least that's what I would do:)

For the record, the main benefit I see to async is the robustness it
provides by having the applications, or in my case components within
the application, very loosely coupled. In my application we have
components/applications running in 4 processors across 3 different
communication mediums; I2C, custom FPGA and TCP/IP (wifi/ethernet).

Thoughts?

Wink Saville