Supporting GNU ld's --as-needed flag

Szombathelyi Gy�rgy gyurco at freemail.hu
Sun Oct 17 18:13:49 BST 2004

Hello!

I wrote about 5 months ago that what can be done to _not_ link all indirect
library dependencies into all KDE programs/libraries:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=108534182408921&w=2

I learned that GNU ld's --as-needed flag could done this. I always compile KDE
libraries and programs with this option, with very good results. So I think
it would be nice to add this flag for the KDE build process. The only problem
which prevents the use of CFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed" is that libtool puts this
option to the end of the parameter list, which simply makes the option
non-working. I attached a patch to the KDE version of libtool, and also a
configure check for the availabilty of the flag.
Can it be added to CVS? Last time I posted a similar patch it was not applied,
but now there's enough time for testing.

Bye,
György

Miert fizetsz az internetert? Korlatlan, ingyenes internet hozzaferes a FreeStarttol.
Probald ki most! http://www.freestart.hu