License conflict for VM screensaver (kdeartwork)

Rob Kaper cap at capsi.com
Fri Oct 15 12:58:15 BST 2004

On Friday 15 October 2004 12:54pm, Andrew Coles wrote:
> On Friday 15 Oct 2004 11:37, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > I don't think I can because the other part of the license says
> > "Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted provided
> > that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are duplicated in all
> > such forms ..."
>
> Then how about adding:
>
> The aforementioned advertising clause was officially retracted in 1999:
> licensees and distributors are no longer required to include the
> acknowledgement within advertising materials.  As such, this licence is
> compatible with the GNU GPL, for those concerned.

That retraction is only valid for original BSD code, not for any changes to
it. Unless copyright was explicitely reassigned to them, the original authors
cannot strike any of the redistribution conditions from work by others. If
any changes were made by us we'll need those committers to distance
themselves from the advertising clause as well.

I doubt any of the contributors considers the advertising clause a necessity
for their contribution, but better be safe than sorry: it could be the case.
Just because BSD no longer requires it doesn't mean the other committers
cannot.

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | "Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had
cap at capsi.com | better learn baseball" -- Jacques Barzun