Unnecessary DNS queries in Konqueror (second part of BR#88855)

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Wed Oct 13 01:38:03 BST 2004

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 11:02, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Stephan Kulow wrote:
> >Am Tuesday 12 October 2004 15:03 schrieb Dawit A.:
> >> I read the discussion in those bug reports. Would it not make more sense
> >> to retrofit the KSocket* class with some sort of DNS caching instead ?
> >> Perhaps
> >
> >I don't think every application should reproduce what's task of an
> > operating system. And there _are_ solutions to do DNS caching at a lower
> > level
>
> As we were discussing yesterday on IRC, there are simple solutions to
> caching, including system-wide measures. One is nscd. Another is BIND's
> lwres. And a third is to have named itself run locally.

The named solution is an over-reach for a most desktop setups, no ?  Perhaps I
will add a blurb about enabling nscd in Konqueror's FAQ section so that
people can check to make sure that their systems are properly
setup/configured.

> I am a lot more comfortable knowing the caching is done by the people who
> maintain the most widely used DNS server. :-)

I second that as well. My comments were purely based on the discussion in
those reports.

> >Yikes! Indeed that is what happens. It is completely nonsense. Shouldn't
> >that be reported to whomever wrote those libs ?
>
> The problem is: this is the expected behaviour. It has been that way for
> who-knows-how-long. We can report, but I don't expect to be even
> acknowledged as bug, at all.
>
> There is one simple way of circumventing this problem: we add an ending dot
> to the hostname. If we lookup "kde.org." instead of "kde.org", no suffixes
> will be appended.

Well the problem with that is it will prevent lookups using the "search"
domain path. IOW, if one types "x" and it is a valid hostname in one of those
search domains say "foo.bar", then one would expect the lookup to succeed,
no ?

--
Regards,
Dawit A.