3.3 release

Stefan Teleman steleman at nyc.rr.com
Tue Oct 12 04:46:54 BST 2004

On Monday 11 October 2004 23:07, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> I'm very seriously asking to consider doing at least one release
> less per year and increasing the cvs freeze periods/packager
> feedback phase accordingly, so the project can put out releases
> with some longevity

I agree. In Solaris' case, the vast majority of KDE users are
enterprise/corporate installations. It takes about 3 weeks to build a
Solaris release, and then about another 2 weeks for the volunteers to
provide feedback on the new release. The sysadmins in enterprise
environmnents will patiently wait for the feedback from the
volunteers and for any release patches before installing a new KDE.
For 3.3, that would have meant end of September. I don't know if the
sysadmins (who are in control of these installations and upgrades)
would be willing to go through another configuration and installation
less than a month later. I'm afraid that these short release cycles
end up having the opposite effect than the one intended -- by
releasing so often, sysadmins/users become reluctant to upgrade.

Just my 0.02.

--Stefan

-----

steleman at nyc.rr.com                          -Monty Python