Unnecessary DNS queries in Konqueror (second part of BR#88855)

Dawit A. adawit at kde.org
Mon Oct 11 13:28:39 BST 2004

On Monday 11 October 2004 07:46, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Am Monday 11 October 2004 12:24 schrieb Stefan Taferner:
> > /etc/host.conf, afaik
>
> I'm afraid your Linux Adminstration Certificate expires soon :)
>
> # The following option is only used by binaries linked against
> # libc4 or libc5. This line should be in sync with the "hosts"
> # option in /etc/nsswitch.conf.

My /etc/nsswitch.conf setup is as follows:
hosts:       files dns
networks:    files dns

> > Default is often to fallback to /etc/hosts if not found via DNS.
> > Not the other way around.
>
> Not very often though - as it's not a sane default.

Seems to be what happens on my system.

> > Or in other words, Dawit:  this is nothing a program like konqueror can
> > control.
>
> I tend to agree.

I was not talking about Konqueror, but I see the problem with my test. The
entires I put in /etc/hosts were already cached by Firefox! And since it does
its own DNS caching, I did not see any DNS queries. If I put an address I did
not visit before in /etc/hosts, then it does do a look up just like
Konqueror. Oh well...

--
Regards,
Dawit A.